Personal Visits with Legislators
Tips for Visiting with Legislators
A personal visit is the most effective means of communicating with a legislator!
- You must make an appointment.
- When you call to make an appointment, ask to speak with the scheduler and let them know you would like 15-30 minutes to discuss an issue. Tell the scheduler what issue you want to discuss so the right staff person is made aware of your visit.
- Accept an appointment with the appropriate staff if the legislator is unavailable.
- If you do not know the answer to a question, be honest and follow up later.
- If possible, leave behind a letter with your concerns. Include your contact information.
- Follow up with a thank-you note or email, reminding the legislator (or staff) what you talked about and the actions you asked them to take. Include the answers to any questions that you were unable to answer during your visit.
Senator Larry Taylor
P.O. Box 12068, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711
Representative Joe Deshotel
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
Find your legislators here.
Capitol Parking Garage
Find more info here.