The Center for Hearing and Speech has many volunteer needs throughout the year in order to serve the 8,500+ children a year we work with. If you’re looking to donate your time and talents to better the lives of children with hearing impairments, we have a job for you!
Types of Volunteers at CHS:
- Individuals – If you want to learn more about what we do at CHS, you can volunteer in one of our departments during our regular business hours (Monday-Thursday 8-5 and Friday 8-3) or you can help out at one of our special events.
- Corporate Groups – We can create a teambuilding event or specialized project for your group, or you can assist us with one of our special events.
- School/Service Groups – Contact us to see what needs we have around the Center for a volunteer day, or sign up your group to help at one of our special events!
Requires attendance at one of our monthly orientations. Orientations are held the first Thursday of every month at 3:00 P.M.
- Translate client sessions - Volunteer to help kids hear by translating client sessions, providing families with crucial information about their options and programs to best meet their needs. Our current language translation needs include: Spanish, Arabic, and Vietnamese.
- Melinda Webb School Classroom Volunteer (fall and spring) – Did you know The Center has a school for kids ages 2-6 with hearing impairments? Gain meaningful experience interacting with our students and helping our teachers by becoming a classroom volunteer in the Melinda Webb School! Must be 18 years or older and have experience working with children.
- Greeting Team – Calling all friendly faces! We need you to join our team of greeters to make our front lobby a great experience for guests. You’ll greet clients, help them fill out their paperwork, interact with children and hand out craft supplies from our craft cart.
- Administrative and Clerical Support – Enhance your administrative skills by assisting the front desk, audiology and speech administrative staff with tasks such as filing, scanning, copying, faxing and more.
- Development Helpers – Get involved with the department that plans and spreads the word about many of The Center’s events and fundraisers. Tasks include event preparation, organizing materials and clerical duties.
- Tutoring Program (summer) – Even though the Melinda Webb School is on summer break, we are still helping kids hear with our tutoring program. We need you to help prepare materials for our tutors and assist during sessions.
- Toddler Music Class Helpers (Tuesdays in summer) – As a music class helper, you will be an important part of helping our youngsters learn to listen and speak through music.
Does NOT require orientation attendance:
- Special Events – Both individuals and groups can help out at our special events throughout the year including Via Colori, our Annual Alumni Picnic and more! Once you’ve applied to be a volunteer, we will send you an email about our special event opportunities.
- Supply, Book and Toy Drives – Great for volunteer groups! We are always in need of supplies, whether it’s for our school or summer camp. Ask us for the most up-to-date needs on toys, books and more!
- Carpentry/Building – Do you like building or fixing things? We often need help building items or making repairs around CHS.
- Craft Makers/Painters/Decorators – Do you enjoy being creative? We have projects for you to put your talents to use including decorating the Audiology Clinic hallways or repainting walls.
We also create specialized projects because we value the unique expertise that each individual and group can contribute to CHS. Companies and organizations enjoy participating in activities for the students and creating site-specific projects.
If you have any questions, please contact Libby Dwyer, at email@example.com or (713) 523-3633.
We need you!
Via Colori - our annual street painting festival and biggest fundraiser is coming up in November. It takes over 800 volunteers to make this festival of 30,000 attendees a success.
Here's how you can help:
- Work with the children in Via Bambini as they color their own squares
- Hang out and help with the great lineup of local musicians
- Serve beverages in our beer garden or lounge (Must be 21+)
- Explore your artsy side and work with 200+ local and guest artists
- Roll up your sleeves and get involved with one of our many fun activities