Many people are unaware that The Center for Hearing and Speech used to go by a different name. When the Center was founded in 1947, it was originally known as the Houston School for Deaf Children.
The founders of HSDC were four parents who were determined their hearing-impaired children would have a chance to speak without the use of sign language. While HSDC originally began as a school, it eventually expanded its services to audiology and speech therapy. With all services offered under one roof, HSDC became a rare resource for deaf children.
In 1994, the Board of Directors voted to change HSDC's name to The Center for Hearing and Speech to better encompass the mission and breadth of services offered by the organization.
Today, CHS continues to grow and expand its programs and services to reach more children with hearing loss than ever before.