Hearing Protection Devices
Noise-induced hearing loss is 100% preventable. Protect your hearing by wearing hearing protection when around loud sounds over a long period of time. Below are several products to help prevent hearing loss in children.
- Loud Enough earphones by Ultimate Ears limit output by approximately 20 dB without sacrificing sound quality. These ear buds are made especially for little ears ages 6 and up.
- Apple provides a free volume limiting adjustment feature through its software to limit the maximum volume for iPods and iPhones.
- The EarSaver Automatic Volume Limiter is plugged between the music output and your earphones. It reduces the volume by approximately 18 dB with minimal effect on sound quality. For this device to have maximum benefit, you must have a set of ear buds that already fit well.
- Earmold companies make custom products for use with most personal audio devices (MP3 players, portable DVD players, etc.). They provide the best possible seal and are available in many colors. Custom earpieces can be made for even the smallest ears. (Westone iCustoms are pictured above.)
- Etymotic Research has introduced ER-20 High-Fidelity Earplugs for small ear canals. These earplugs maintain sound quality while reducing the output by approximately 20 dB.
- 3M Peltor Junior Earmuffs are designed for infants as young as 3 months old and have a noise reduction rating of 22 dB. These muffs are safe and comfortable on small heads.
For pricing information on hearing protection please call the Audiology Department at (713) 337-9075 or send us an e-mail.