Does CHS accept insurance/Medicaid?
Yes, The Center for Hearing and Speech (CHS) accepts a wide variety of private insurers as well as several Medicaid providers including Amerigroup, Community Health Choice, Evercare and Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Services Program. Please call 713-523-3633 for more information.
How much do hearing tests and other services cost?
If you do not qualify for Medicaid or have private health insurance, CHS offers all services on a sliding scale which is determined by your household income. In order to receive services on the sliding scale you must have proof of income. Please call 713-523-3633 for more information.
Does CHS offer American Sign Language (ASL) classes?
No, CHS does not offer sign language classes or services for any age group. CHS is an auditory-verbal option facility. At CHS we teach children from birth to age eighteen to listen, speak and read without the use of sign language. Please visit ASLive.org where you can learn sign language by taking classes online or HoustonDeafNetwork.com for more information on American Sign Language resources in Houston. Or, see a short list of possible resources here.
Does CHS offer services for hearing-impaired people over 18 years of age?
CHS offers services to children from birth to age 18. Check out this list of resources for organization that offer services for hearing-impaired adults.
What age students are serviced at the Melinda Webb School?
The Melinda Webb school serves children from the age of 18 months-6 years.
What is the typical teacher to student ratio?
- Academic sessions occur in larger groups well within the daycare regulations of ratios.Language sessions occur in smaller groups of two to three students per teacher. Small ratios allow for more turns to practice listening and speaking skills.
What are the schools hours of operation?
- Academic Day: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Before School Care: 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- After School Care: 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
What are some of the services the students receive at The Center for Hearing and Speech?
- Weekly speech language sessions are provided on an individual basis for one hour per week
- Audiological support is available as needed
- Weekly sessions provided by The River include art, music and movement and story time
- Play therapy (if requested)
- Library story time weekly with the CHS librarian
What roles do the parents play?
- THE key to outcomes is family involvement and participation
- Parents are required to observe a thirty-minute language session and a thirty-minute Discovery room session each month
- Parents are required to participate in their child’s weekly speech language sessions
- We ask that parents implement carryover activities as requested by the teacher
- Parents are required to attend three parent conferences to actively participate in setting appropriate goals and targets
What programs are available to the parents?
- The Parent Teacher Organization
- Volunteer opportunities within CHS
- The Director of Family Services provides parent sessions for support, education and networking
What is the cost of tuition and is financial aid available?
The average cost to educate a child at the Melinda Webb School is $33,296 per year; however, the most a family is asked to pay is $11,880 per year. We are very proud that we are able to provide this form of financial aid to all of our students. Tuition is based upon a family’s individualized income status.